Bordering the city of Sacramento on the east and Napa, Colusa, and Sutter counties on the north and west, Yolo County is largely rural, with pockets of higher density in cities like Davis, Woodland, and West Sacramento. Experiences of homelessness in Yolo County can include street homelessness in Yolo’s cities, encampments on the Sacramento River, and a small number of rural homeless.
Yolo County’s 2015 Point-In-Time Count identified 498 people experiencing homelessness on a given night in January, up 20% from 2007. Yolo has a higher average number of homeless individuals per 10,000 residents than the United States overall–24.25 homeless individuals per 10,000 in Yolo County versus 19.27 per 10,000 in the U.S. However, the cities of West Sacramento and Woodland each have over 33 individuals experiencing homelessness per 10,000.
1 in 4 of Yolo County’s homeless individuals is a child or a young adult. Over a third of those experiencing homelessness in the county are in a family (with and without dependent children), versus 64% who are single individuals. 74% of the population have at least one health issue (PTSD, a serious mental illness, substance abuse disorder, disability, etc.), and 59% have two or more identified health issues.
In addition, fully 76% of the homeless population in Yolo County is classified as chronically homeless, including chronically homeless families. The vast majority of homeless individuals or households in the area have either been in Yolo County less than a year (40%), or have been in Yolo County for 11 years or more (36%). 61% of the population is sheltered in either transitional housing or an emergency shelter, leaving 39% unsheltered. West Sacramento has the highest number of unsheltered homeless in the county on a given night.
Yolo County’s Homeless Services team provides services ranging from outreach and critical needs assessment to linkages to services. Service providers are located in the cities of Woodland, West Sacramento, and Davis. More information can be found at the Homeless Services page on the Yolo County website.
Yolo County Homeless Services also coordinates and participates in several county-wide coalitions, including the Yolo County Homeless and Poverty Action Coalition, which oversee the service system in the county and assist with grant-writing of applications for federal and state dollars.
Homeless Services recently issued an update and work plan for Quarter 1 of the 2016-17 fiscal year, which outlined several goals the team has for the year. These include growing funding for county homeless services, building and implementing an HMIS and coordinated entry system, and better coordinating an entire continuum of care in the county.
Getting to Zero Grants
As part of the Getting to Zero campaign, the City of Davis has received a $233,000 matching grant from Sutter Health to increase permanent supportive housing for its chronically homeless population. The funds will be used to support Davis Pathways, which will serve an estimated 45 individuals over three years. While elements of Davis Pathways have been in place for several months, the matching grant from Sutter Health provides the funding needed to incorporate job training, bridge rental assistance, and supportive services.
For more info on the latest from Yolo County, click here.